Camp Thurman is the largest non-profit day camp in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and has been since its founding in 1969. What started as a small Bible-camp activity out of Pantego Bible Church has grown to an all-encompassing, yet affordable summer camp experience for thousands of campers from 4 to 14 years old.
As the cities of Pantego and Arlington have continued to expand around the edges of Camp Thurman’s property, their campgrounds have remained a hidden enclosure of woodland, making CT a true forest-in-a-city, with all the benefits of a centrally located but distinctly separated outdoor environment for fun in the sun.
Who We Are
Camp Thuman’s mission is to share God’s love and help people pursue their identity in Christ. In line with their mission to share and their passion to serve, Camp Thurman believes that enjoying and learning in creation is one of the most incredible opportunities that a camper can experience. Surrounded by over fourteen acres of forest and streams, CT packs a month’s worth of outdoor fun into each day and a year’s work of fun into the whole week. No day in their week-long sessions looks like the next, but campers can expect to climb high on their rock walls, glide far on their zip lines, and laugh hard at their skits!
Because of Camp Thurman’s desire to find and equip the next generation of leaders, they also spend nine months of the year serving and teaching various groups from schools, ministries, businesses, and charities in effectively directing their peers in kind and compelling influence through team-building programming.
The activities at Camp Thurman are innumerable, but some of the favorites mentioned time and time again are:
- Multiple pools and a lazy river equipped with jumping ledges, challenge inflatables, quick slides, and even ziplines
- Ropes courses full of opportunities to swing, balance, run, skate, climb, zip, and much more
- A 40-foot tall zip line that takes the camper across campgrounds for an exhilarating zooming experience, and a chance to look above the treeline at the vast reach of Camp Thurman from a unique view
- Rock walls for the new climber and the veteran to ascend and scale
- Trapeze jumps that challenge the adventure-seeker to climb and balance their way to new heights
- A towering pendulum swing for campers and their new friends to experience thrilling drops and sways
- Skits that showcase our summer camp counselors’ love for singing, dancing, fun, and service
- Games such as Capture the Flag and CT favorite Slap Dodgeball (known by others as Gaga Ball) for groups to compete in exciting ways
- Bible studies that make much of the Lord and show campers the hope found in Jesus
Be a part of the Camp Thurman Experience
While all of CT’s camp offerings are equally adventurous, no one camp experience is quite the same! From ages 4 to 14 for campers, and ages 15 and up for summer staff, the ways to encounter outdoor fun are plentiful!
For campers aged 4 to 11, they have options varying from the classic day camp experience, to their half-day sunshine programs, and Uncle Bill’s for their youngest.
Afternoon and evening camp fun for older campers from age 7 to the 9th grade. This is an opportunity to experience camp with added challenges and competitions!
The CITIT (Counselor In Training . . . In Training) Leadership camp for 9th graders prepares the next generation of CT staff, and their GetAway camp is a truly unique overnight experience for 7th through 9th graders.
An opportunity for ministry-minded high school and college-age students to work at and serve in CT’s mission to share God’s love and help people pursue their identity in Christ.
What Sets Camp Thurman Apart
There are many summer camp experiences that can provide a safe, fun, and adventurous learning environment for your camper to have a great week each season. What sets Camp Thurman apart is lifelong friendships built and the lasting influence their summer staff has on each other, the community, and each individual camper. Parents point out repeatedly that CT counselors pride themselves in noticing each camper’s strengths and encouraging them in their giftings.
Contact: Camp Thurman
Read Next: Flex Football league